Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Did Jesus Hug Trees?

I was pointed recently to the site of the Interfaith Stewardship and their Cornwall Declaration. It's a several page position paper on faith and the environment. I'm still reading it. It will take several passes, I'm sure, because there are a lot of Ph.d's on the author page.

What I see so far:

They seem to think that public policies to save the environment, hur the poor the most.

The difference between "real" and "alleged" problems are scary to me.
Apparently , real problems are proven, well understood, localized, of concern to people in developing nations, high and firmly established risk to human life and help and solutions to "real" problems are const effective and maintain proven benefit.

Anything else, is an "alleged" problem. These "alleged" problems are speculative, global and catclysmic, mainly of concern to environmentalists in wealthy nations, low and hypothetical risk, solutions are costly and of dubious benifit.

from Cornwall Declaration

There's a ton more, and I'll report as I read, but offhand, with just this one section, I'd say most of Bible Prophecy is just alleged problems. Most of them weren't proven, not until they happened. Some of the prophecy was localized, but much is global. I'd say at this point, while the end of the world is a certainty, it is in some ways hypothetical, since none of us living human folks really KNOW what is going to happen, so it too would be an alleged problem to the environment.


I've got a lot to think about, but head on over to the site if you want to play along at home.

Tomorrow: So how many times IS free market in the Bible? Because it's all over the Cornwall Declaration.

No comments: